Effective Resume Samples
Hands-on Engineering Management experience including Software Architecture, System Architecture, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Integration Test, and Configuration Management. Managed teams of engineers as small as five engineers and as large as 72. The Software Engineering organization spanned Applications, Embedded, and Infrastructure/Platform areas. Management of project development with PMI, RUP, and ISO principals across local and geographically distributed teams.
- Development and Architecture experience with CORBA, RMI, MQSeries, RPC, JDBC/ODBC, J2EE/EIA, UNIX (HPUX, Solaris, Linux), VxWorks, .NET, Microsoft Windows (NT/2000). Extensive architecture and design experience with High Availability (Local and Disaster Recovery) including database design considerations in Real-Time systems.
- Extensive Programming and Design experience in C++/C, Java, OMG`s CORBA IDL, HTML/XML, C#, SQL and PL/SQL, UML (including Use Case elaboration), and many scripting languages.
|Master of Science in Computer Science, Magna Cum Laude||1992|
|Temple University, Philadelphia, PA.|
|Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Magna Cum Laude||1990|
|Trenton State College, Trenton, NJ.|
|COMPANY XYZ||2004 - PRESENT|
Managed four geographically dispersed development teams responsible for database and file-system management/access, security and other information assurance functions, policy based operations, and search/mining of data and text. Worked closely with senior management to specify and implement a commercial product approach for the program, including spiral development, requirements collection and specification, product management, functional release packaging, system testing, and CMM principals. Additional duties included design and implementation oversight (including EVMS tracking), staffing, technical architecture, development direction, and maintaining cohesion of service areas.
Presented status and design/architecture briefings, as part of the formal Critical Design Review, to Army and Government program management. Ad-hoc networking, session initiation (including SIP), mobile communications, service discovery, database replication (with Extended Virtual Synchrony) were major design considerations for these product teams. Multi-Language/Environment development: J2EE, Linux, VxWorks, .NET, Java, C/C++, and Ada.
|COMPANY XYZ||1998 - 2004|
|Director, Software Engineering - Optical Network Systems|
- Managed a group of 72 software engineers through second tier of five technical managers. The areas managed include Infrastructure Development, Embedded Systems, NE Applications Development, Network Management, Integration Test, and Systems Engineering. This position also required the management of lab resources, test equipment, system models, development tools and equipment, and a budget in excess of $15M. A significant job function included interfacing to Product Management to define requirements and coordinate Project Management (PMP reflected the best practices as given by the Project Management Institute (PMI) across all product lines. Implemented a variation of the Rational Unified Process (RUP) as part of the Software Development Process (SDP) at Company XYZ. Introduced a structured configuration management process including ClearCase and ClearQuest, and Rose UML modeling into the development environment. Fostered a CMM level three environment.
- Managed all software designs/implementations for Company XYZ`s management and control systems. Software development supported custom hardware using Windows NT/2000, Lynx OS (RT UNIX), HPUX, Solaris, and the VxWorks RTOS on MC68360, MPC8260, MPC750, Scout (750 w/8260 slave), MPC860/T, and MPC603e processors. Embedded real-time development included Board Support Packages (BSP), bootstrap protocol development, OAM&P features, configuration management features, and hardware abstraction using object-oriented principles. Managed the design of system software support for SONET OC3, OC12, OC48 and OC192 transceivers (including SONET monitoring functions and performance data collection and reporting), Ethernet blades, and High Availability (for five nines). This position required extensive coordination with hardware engineering to satisfy software requirements.
- Managed a team of 10 embedded software engineers in the design and development of Company XYZ’s product. Participated in the design and development of closed-loop control of MEMS (Micro Electro Mechanical) mirrors in an all-optical switching application using DSPs to implement a PID (Proportional, Integral, Derivative) control system. Managed the Network Management System (NMS) development team and guided the selection and deployment of an Object/Relational database solution for deployment in a Network Element and NMS.
- Lead Software Architect for Company XYZ’s products. This included significant interaction with hardware engineering on system design items (CPU selection, bus architecture, and FPGA functionality) as well as overall system design conformance to requirements. Designed and developed a Clos Switching Algorithm for provisioning of electronic circuits in a three-stage switch. Significant design and development work for the management communication-plane involving CORBA in a real-time environment. Participated in the architecture and design of Company XYZ’s proprietary MESH network restoration algorithms. Filed a patent application on fast protection switching via alarm flooding.
|COMPANY XYZ||1995 - 1998|
|Senior Technical Staff Member, System Lead - Operations Technology Center|
- Led the Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OA&M) team in the Expert Systems group developing network maintenance software for the surveillance of network elements and mediation devices. Used object-oriented approaches (in C++ and Java) to solve Company XYZ network maintenance problems. OA&M design included interfaces to Hewlett Packard`s high availability software M/C Service Guard, user and application administration, Oracle RDBMS development including embedded SQL and PL/SQL, and modeling of a project-wide database schema and process architecture.
- Led a team to architect and develop a complete solution for Security Dynamics` ACE/Server integration with existing RADIUS databases. Co-Lead the preparation of a Data Warehouse request for proposal (RFP) to manage 30TB of call detail information. This included hardware and software evaluation, coordination of vendor participants as well as co-authoring of the response documentation detailing system architecture and cost structures.
- Led the development of a Web based solution for a Dashboard & Data Warehouse using Microsoft ActiveX technology, XML/HTML, and Java. Architected and developed a complete software solution for mapping relational database schema onto a specified Object Model. A patent application has been filed for various aspects of this solution.
|COMPANY XYZ||1993 - 1995|
|Integrated Systems Division|
|Computer Programmer/Analyst (Team Lead)|
Served as the technical lead for the A5 area of JCALS. Developed distributed applications and utilities using C/Ada (Mil Std 2167A), MOTIF, Oracle Secure RDBMS, Embedded SQL, and stored procedures for use by Joint Services under the Joint Computer aided Acquisition and Logistic Support system (JCALS).
|COMPANY XYZ||1992 - 1993|
Developed customized applications to support accounting department functions. Work was done in C on the HPUX platform as well as the MAI IV system. Responsible for the migration and porting effort, which took the existing MAI system software onto the UNIX platform. Performed full-lifecycle development including design, coding, unit testing, and continuing software improvements. Implemented an automated processing system, which used expert rules to export system events.
- Currently authoring a book entitled Advanced CORBA Programming for Prentice Hall. The book explores the programming complexities and challenges readers encounter when developing in a CORBA environment. Advanced CORBA topics such as CORBAservices and Dynamic Interface programming are examined.
- Rational User`s Conference paper entitled Using Object Oriented Technologies in Embedded Systems Development.
Sales and Marketing Executive with demonstrated leadership, planning, communication, organizational skills and over 20 years of experience in the Telecommunications Industry (over 15 years with XYZ) with focus on Carriers, Cable MSO`s, PTT`s ILEC`s, CLEC`s. Technology expertise spans Voice, Video, Data, IP Access, Transport and Software for Wireline and Wireless carriers. Successful track record working at large, small, public and private companies with a reputation as an independent thinker and strong negotiator who can identify, build relationships and influence top executive level contacts at key customers and partners.
- Grew venue by 2X for three straight years
- Successfully positioned Company XYZ`s HFC platform (voice, video, data for IP Access and Transport) with industry leading MSO`s, capturing a $100M contract with Company XYZ / Company XYZ, and a $75M contract with Company XYZ in Sweden.
- Sales results highlights while at Company XYZ:
- Two times successfully integrated sales organizations from two large acquisitions made by Company XYZ and Company XYZ
- Proven and consistence record of building/managing organizations that deliver targeted sales and market share numbers while managing 4 Sales Divisions located in California, Oregon, Texas, and Connecticut
- Constructed and managed the Company XYZ / Compnay XYZ joint development effort for the integration of IP transport in conjunction with Company XYZ’s OFDM based HFC platform (DOCSIS reference design)
- Top Region in total sales (sales exceeded $72M and 112% against plan)
Ø 63% increase in sales to CLEC / IOC targeted customers
Ø 43% increase in sales to MSO / Cable targeted customers
Ø 23% increase in sales to Enterprise / Govt targeted customers
Ø 20% increase in sales to IXC and Canada targeted customers
|MBA, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN||1994|
|BS, Business Administration, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa||1981|
|COMPANY NAME||APRIL 2005 - PRESENT|
|Privately held software solutions company that provides Network Operators, Cable MSO`s and Wireless Operators with a platform for improving the process of designing, deploying and optimizing their networks, saving significant CapEx and OpEx.|
|Vice President of Global Sales|
Current focus is on building the sales organization to position and grow sales into Tier 1 and Tier 2 Carriers, Cable MSO`s, PTT`s, and Wireless Operators. Hired and manage 5 sales managers world wide.
|COMPANY NAME||MAY 2004 - APRIL 2005|
|A start up company that manufactures WiFi 802.11 wide area base station and WiFi access point products that use PacketSteering|
|Vice President of Worldwide Sales|
Managed 14 sales managers and sales engineers.
- Hired and managed COMPANY XYZ’s Global Sales and Technical Support Group
- Built funnel of 250 targeted metro/cities that are planning city wide WiFi deployments
- Built Channel Partners program with 70+ Channel partners to include Company XYZ and Company XYZ
- Managed all International Sales functions, Customer Service (pre and post sales) and Sales Operations functions
|COMPANY NAME||SEPTEMBER 2001 - MAY 2004|
|Privately held optical wireless products company|
|Vice President of Worldwide Sales|
Responsible for Worldwide sales of Company XYZ products to Mobile Operators, Carriers and Enterprise customers through distributors & resellers, strategic OME`s, and system integrators. Managed a team of 15 including One VP of Asia Sales, eight Sales Directors and six Sales Engineers world wide.
- Hired and managed Company XYZ’s Global Sales force in 7 different countries, who managed the sale of Company’s Optical Wireless (FSO) products through Distributors, VARS, OEM`s and System Integrators to Enterprises customers, Mobile Operators and Carrier customers
- Major Carrier wins included deployment contracts with Company XYZ (list out major wins)
- 2X revenue growth for three straight years
- Managed sales of Company products through key OEM`s and distributors to include Company XYZ (list out )
- Managed the sale of Company XYZ products through 120+ smaller Regional Reseller in NA, Europe, and Middle East
- Managed all sales activities associated with the Company XYZ / Company XYZ partnership
- Created Company XYZ’s sales compensation plan, the sales forecasting process and the sales lead follow up process
|COMPANY NAME||AUGUST 1983 - AUGUST 2001|
|Vice President Sales, Broadband Access Transport Group (June 2000 – August 2001)|
Responsible for managing sales of Broadband products - Wireline Division (DSL, DSLAM, HDSL, ATM/Sonet optical transport), Cable Division (digital and analog video optical transport and performance monitoring solution), Enterprise Division (ATM Access, DSU/CSU & multiplexers), and Wireless Division (point to multipoint BB system) to North American ILEC`s, MSO Cable Operators, CLEC`s, IXC`s, and Government accounts.
- Managed a Sales and Sales Engineering organization of 225 people and captured $800M in revenue from targeted ILEC, MSO Cable Operators, CLEC`s and IXC customers.
- Successfully positioned and sold total solutions that include hardware, performance monitoring solutions, OSS solutions and SI turn key packages.
- Integrated Sales force and Sales Engineering organizations into one team that ensured high impact account coverage with a lower cost expense structure.
- Successfully re-structured the sales force focused on a `systems selling` approach to targeted customers. This structure enabled a balanced attack of `driving` monthly/quarter revenue while still positioning Company XYZ for larger more strategic opportunities.
- Successfully implemented a new forecasting process, which improved forecasting accuracy by 40%.
Vice President Marketing, Broadband Networks Division (October 1997 - June 2000)
Responsible for Global Marketing, Product Management, and the Customer Service Organization & Technical Support for Company XYZ`s integrated HFC Platform (voice, data, video and IP access and transport) targeted at Global Cable MSO`s customers.
- Successfully positioned Company XYZ`s HFC platform with industry leading MSO`s, capturing a $100M contract with Company XYZ /Company XYZ, and a $75M contract with Company XYZ in Sweden
- Constructed and managed the Company XYZ / Company XYZ joint development effort for the integration of IP transport in conjunction with Company XYZ`s OFDM based HFC platform (DOCSIS reference design)
- Responsible for all competitive analysis, pricing strategy / implantation, and owned product line P&L
- Constructed and managed a partnership with Company XYZ for Company XYZ`s HFC Element Manager System
- Responsible for developing the divisions strategic plan and conducted all market analysis / research to include market size, market opportunity analysis, market segmentation
- Developed the Divisions marketing strategy and support programs to include public relations, advertising, media plans, promotions, sales collateral and industry shows
- Managed Company XYZ`s Broadband Networks Division Global Customer Service Organization - supported all customer deployments and technology trials
Vice President Sales, Broadband Communications Division (September 1996 – October 1997)
Responsible for building and managing the Sales organization to sell Company XYZ`s cable optical transport products and System Integration Service to the Telco market. Major customers include Company XYZ (list out customers)
- Hired all sales people, set up territories and sales quotas and budgets
- Achieved revenues of $52M. This was 2X growth over previous year
Regional Vice President Sales, Transmission Division (August 1995 – August 1996)
Responsible for building and managing Company XYZ`s Sales team that sold Video Optical transport equipment, HDSL transport equipment, Company XYZ`s OFDM HFC platform and System Integration Services to all North America Carrier customers.
- Top Region in total sales (sales exceeded $72M and 112% against plan)
- Major contract / projects won – Company XYZ products $12M, Company XYZ $25M (list out contracts)
- Winner of Company XYZ’s President Advisory Council Award (top performer award)
Director of Sales (September 1993 - July 1995)
Responsible for managing sales for Company’s XYZ / Central Region.
- Captured $100M Company XYZ contract for major deployment of HFC platform
- Managed the process of capturing 20 new product approvals at Ameritech
- Winner of Company XYZ’s Presidents Advisory Council Award (top performer award)
Senior Marketing Manager, Transmission Division (August 1991 – August 1993)
Responsible for all Marketing and Business Development of Company XYZ`s Fiber to Home (FTTH) and optical transport products. Developed business case, initiated product launch, completed all competitive analysis work, and developed all sales collateral and product training material.
- Marketing initiatives aided the captured of major contracts valued over $50M at Company XYZ (list out companies)
Sales Manager (August 1983 - July 1991)
- Over seven year period responsible for sales to various customers to include RBOC`s Independent Telco`s, OEM`s, End Users and Government accounts
- Six out of the seven years exceeded quota and averaged 121% over quota for seven-year period
An executive position in sales management in technology (if you are sure of what position you want then use a specific objective)
Twenty years of sales management, sales operational, and marketing experience in technology - delivering proven strategies and programs to penetrate key world markets. Functional expertise spans from pre-and-post sales support involving heavy customer and partner interactions to project management to requirements development and execution (build upon this… up to another paragraph)
- Leadership style that pulls together teams/functions delivering on time and under budget
- A “can do” personality with an entrepreneurial drive and work ownership
- A commitment that Sales mixes Art and Science and that both must be developed in order to positively impact business goals and objectives (bullets are for impact delivery of your attributes)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|MBA - Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ||1984|
|BS - Engineering Journalism, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ||1982|
|ZERO-BEAM CORPORATION||2002 - Present|
|Vice President of Marketing|
Leading a staff of fifteen; recruited to evaluate, develop and execute sales and marketing plans to stimulate new revenue streams and introduce Zero-Beam, a privately-held developer of award winning wireless/mobility integration software, to broad based Enterprise and Service Provider markets.
- Identify target enterprises and develop specific strategies/measurable tactics to cost effectively accelerate influencers and C-level decision makers through the sales process. First-meeting hit rates increased from 2% to 10%.
- Incorporated formal analyst communications program into overall marketing plan, ensuring industry analysts from Gartner Group, IDC, Burton Group and Yankee Group were briefed and prepared to comment (in advance of product launches) to reporters or enterprise clients on Broadbeam’s strategy and direction. Briefed a record-breaking 12 analysts in three month period, including being placed in IDC’s “Leadership Grid” for two consecutive years.
- Defined and developed web-based activities, including out bound electronic e-mails and newsletters, 30-day free trials, special pricing and the first-ever Broadbeam Developer Zone to cost effectively reach a broader, more technical “influencer” market. Exceeded trial downloads objective in first 6 months by 85%.
- Integrated direct selling with marketing activities, ensuring the cost of sales and new sales opportunities were in line with company’s financial business model. Implemented processes and sales force automation system, which flagged inconsistencies between potential sales opportunities and cost of sale.
|SINGULAR WIRELESS (acquired BellSouth Wireless Data)||1994 - 2000|
|Executive Director, Business Communications (2001 - 2002)|
With a staff of 14, developed and directed all business communications activities surrounding the launch of Cingular Wireless, second largest carrier in the U.S, to targeted business segments.
- Commissioned quantitative and qualitative research to understand attitudes of C-level executives and key decision makers toward Cingular as a provider of business solutions. Created business-to-business position, which governed the development of a measurable communications plan launched in January 2002.
- Managed development and execution of communications plan to increase awareness of Cingular Wireless business by 25%. Activities included: Cingular’s first ever, business-focused TV commercial; interactive and print advertising, including Business Week, Fortune, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, USA Today; “out-of-home” vehicles in top 10 markets; customer events to accelerate sales cycle; and national trade shows, including Comdex Fall & Spring.
- Developed business plan, defined objectives and established motivated, highly integrated team dedicated to the execution of Cingular’s annual customer conference. Recruited 50 sponsors, secured top speakers (e.g., Norman Schwarzkopf), selected world-class venue and established agenda for 1,200 delegates -- a 300% increase from first conf. in 1999.
Executive Director, Corporate Communications (as BellSouth Wireless Data) (1998 - 2001)
Supervised and directed a staff of 10 in the development of a fully-integrated, measurable corporate communications plan ($6.5 million) to strengthen national presence for BellSouth Corporation via its subsidiary BellSouth Wireless Data, operator of the largest wireless data network in the U.S.
- Leveraged value of BellSouth Corporation regional brand to penetrate national target markets and drive business to meet awareness and sales goals for new data products available on a nationwide basis. Increased awareness and assisted in driving record breaking growth from 100,000 to 800,000 subscribers.
- Defined overall communications message and plan as well as developed, measured and tested effectiveness of various elements, including advertising, P.R., marketing communications, trade shows, customer events and web-based activities. Merchandising company milestones, customer successes, new products, etc. resulted in major awards from Microsoft, FedEx, PC Computing, Frost & Sullivan and Wireless Week.
- Integrated web-based initiatives into overall communications mix, including company/product information, case studies and product demonstrations to quickly and inexpensively accelerate web-savvy customers and prospects through the sales process.
Director, Marketing Communications (as BellSouth Wireless Data) (1996 – 1998)
Sr. Marketing Communications Manager (1994 - 1996)
Overseeing a staff of five, responsible for $2.5M marketing communications program, including development of corporate programs to establish a first time national presence for regionally based BellSouth Corporation via its national data subsidiary BellSouth Wireless Data.
- Launched successful interactive paging initiative to New York Tri-State area. Launch activities included: donating pagers and service to NYC’s largest food bank to obtain coverage in business print and broadcast outlets; produced 10 announcer-read traffic spots; placed “transit” advertisements; and advertised in four major NYC publications.
- Launched 5-month in-flight advertising campaign on five major carriers. Measured effectiveness of program through independent market research, increasing awareness of company amongst target CEOs and sr. level managers from approx. 2% to 7%.
- Created concept and launched 8-city, breakfast tour featuring best selling author Harvey Mackay to attract C-level executives interested in gaining a competitive advantage. Goal was an average of 100 CEOs per city; actual average achieved was 120 per city.
|INFOTRON SYSTEMS CORPORATION||1989 - 1991|
With a two-person staff, responsible for developing and managing public relations and advertising activities for $95M manufacturer of communications equipment.
Public Relations and Advertising Manager (1989 - 1991)
- Increased public awareness of products and company presence from 6.7% to 13.2% over 2-year period.
- Wrote and placed 20 feature articles/applications stories over 2-year period.
- Planned and facilitated annual/quarterly reports and analyst meetings.